No upset here: New England Patriots running back James White’s touchdown in overtime to win Super Bowl LI over the Atlanta Falcons was the top social moment on Twitter and Facebook during Sunday’s Big Game.
Andrew Barge, who works on sports partnerships for Twitter, said in a blog post that more than 27.6 million #SB51 tweets were sent during Fox’s live telecast of the National Football League’s title game.
And Facebook said in an email to Social Pro Daily that 64 million users worldwide generated 240 million interactions on Facebook during the event, with more than 90 percent of those taking place via mobile. There were also 262 million views of Super Bowl-related videos on the social network.
Meanwhile, 44 million Instagram users were behind 150 million interactions related to Sunday’s Big Game.
The three most-tweeted moments during Super Bowl LI were:
- White’s overtime touchdown capping the Patriots’ comeback from 28-3 and giving the team its fifth Super Bowl title with a 34-28 overtime win.
- The end of Lady Gaga’s halftime performance.
- Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola catches a two-point conversion with 57 seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game at 28-28.
And the top social moments on Facebook were:
- White’s winning touchdown.
- Amendola’s two-point conversion.
- Falcons cornerback Robert Alford intercepts a pass by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and returns it 82 yards for a touchdown, giving his team a 21-0 second-quarter lead.
The three most-mentioned Patriots on Twitter during the game were:
- Julian Edelman
And the three most-mentioned Falcons were:
- Julio Jones
- Matt Ryan
- Devonta Freeman
The three most-talked-about players on Facebook were:
The five countries most engaged in Super Bowl-related conversation on Facebook were:
Meanwhile, Twitter provided an interactive map (embedded below) showing the spikes in geotagged tweets during the game and, notably, during Lady Gaga’s halftime show.
— Twitter Data (@TwitterData) February 6, 2017
Speaking of Lady Gaga, the most-tweeted moments during the #PepsiHalftime show were:
- The end.
- Lady Gaga says hi to her mom and dad.
- Lady Gaga comes down from the roof on a harness.
And the most-tweeted-about songs were:
- Bad Romance
- Born This Way
Meanwhile, Facebook said Lady Gaga wrapping up her performance of Bad Romance was its most-loved moment of Super Bowl LI.
The top brands on Twitter during Super Bowl LI (tweets embedded below) were:
- Pepsi (@pepsi)
- T-Mobile (@TMobile)
- Avocados From Mexico (@AvosfromMexico)
- Budweiser (@Budweiser)
- Mr. Clean (@RealMrClean)
- Audi (@Audi)
- Skittles (@Skittles)
- 84 Lumber (@84LumberNews)
- Doritos (@Doritos)
- Intel (@intel)
— Pepsi™ (@pepsi) February 6, 2017
— T-Mobile? (@TMobile) February 6, 2017
— Avocados From Mexico (@AvosfromMexico) February 2, 2017
— Budweiser (@Budweiser) January 31, 2017
— Audi (@Audi) February 6, 2017
Our complete Super Bowl story. See a mother & daughter’s symbolic journey toward becoming legal American citizens. https://t.co/AiI3MLrVd5
— 84 Lumber Company (@84LumberNews) February 6, 2017
— Mr. Clean (@RealMrClean) February 6, 2017
— Verizon (@verizon) February 6, 2017
— GuardiansOfTheGalaxy (@Guardians) February 6, 2017
— SNICKERS® (@SNICKERS) February 6, 2017
— Airbnb (@Airbnb) February 6, 2017