Driving relevance means driving growth. Join global brands and industry thought leaders at Brandweek, Sept. 11–14 in Miami, for actionable takeaways to better your marketing. 50% off passes ends April 10.
Personalization is more than an advertising industry buzzword—it is one of the most common goals of modern marketers.
But the term’s meaning isn’t quite so clear. To many, it is even elusive.
So, what does “personalization” mean? Is it about:
- Addressing your customers by their first name?
- Collecting explicitly expressed preferences and treating them accordingly?
- Customizing emails and landing pages based on customer profiles and behaviors?
- Knowing when to contact and through which channel?
- Keeping in touch with your customers constantly?
- Suggesting more of the same products that they just purchased via collaborative filtering?
None of these are wrong answers.