What are your social media resolutions for 2011? Do you want to get more followers on Twitter or more fans on Facebook? Do you want to start a blog or start uploading videos to YouTube? Whatever your social media goals are for 2011, we want to help you achieve them! Read on to find out about how some of the most common social media goals and tips to help you achieve them in 2011.
Step 1: Set Your Goals
Grab a pen and notebook and write down your social media goals for 2011. By social media goals I mean your goals for Twitter, Facebook, blogging, online video and other social media outlets. Try to be specific – if you want to start blogging, how many days a week do you want to blog? If you want to get more followers on Twitter, how many followers do you want to get? The more specific your goals are, the better equipped you will be to achieve them. And remember that your goals can always shift and change along the way. Nothing is set in stone.
Step 2: Come Up With A Plan For Achieving Your Goals
Now that you know what your goals are you need to come up with a plan for what steps you will need to take to achieve them. To help you out, we’ve come up with a basic plan of action for achieving some of the most common social media resolutions and goals. You can use these basic plans to make up your own, which could be made up of a list of possible topics you’d like to write about, a schedule of when you are going to work on your goals, or a plan for how you will promote yourself.
Get More Followers On Twitter
A lot of people just sit back doing nothing besides tweeting about the mundane details of their lives and wonder why they aren’t getting more followers on Twitter. Understand that it isn’t easy to get people to follow you, you’ve got to take action! Here are some steps you should take in 2011 in order to get more Twitter followers:
1. Obviously, if you don’t already have a Twitter account you’ll have to open one.
2. Tweet regularly. If you go for weeks at a time without tweeting then your number of followers will remain stagnant. If you are tweeting regularly then people will follow you as you tweet about key terms that they are searching for and are interested in too.
3. Tweet about interesting stuff. Tweet links to cool articles you’ve read, ask questions and share cool ideas. Nobody cares that you ate #tuna for lunch, but if you can share a really great tuna salad recipe you’ve got something going there.
4. Start a conversation. Find people who are tweeting about stuff that interests you and send them an @reply. Share a post from a blogger that you like and be sure to include a @mention of the blogger’s Twitter account in your tweet so they know you are out there and are sharing their stuff.
5. Don’t be a spammer! Starting a conversation really means starting a conversation. Ask a question or respond to someone else’s tweet with something really worthwhile. Not just a simple “Hi! Read my blog!” or “Click here for a free iPad!!”
6. Link to your Twitter account from your other social networks, blogs and websites. Again, it takes time, but if you put these steps into action you’ll definitely see an increase in followers in 2011.
Get More Fans On Facebook
This one is sort of similar to getting more followers on Twitter.