Despite all the buzz surrounding TikTok, Snap, Netflix and Fortnite, this year’s Hot List honorees also include OGs, as some legacy media brands continue to show new players who’s boss.
Adweek’s Media Visionaries, who grace our cover, are the executive producers of Friends—David Crane, Marta Kauffman and Kevin Bright. Yes, that’s right, Friends. The beloved NBC comedy classic that just celebrated its 25th anniversary continues to find new fans, thanks to Netflix (and in 2020, WarnerMedia’s HBO Max).
Meanwhile, our TV Creator of the Year, Chuck Lorre, has a 20-year winning streak that won’t quit. He wrapped up CBS’ The Big Bang Theory 12-year run in May and has four TV shows in play, including Big Bang prequel Young Sheldon and Netflix’s The Kominsky Method.
Then there’s The New York Times’ Meredith Kopit Levien, evp, COO, who’s our Publishing Executive of the Year. Kopit Levien has had a banner year, focusing on growing digital subs and innovations with brand partners.
Be sure to check out the rest of the Hot List, which honors many other digital, publishing and TV people and brands that shine bright in the crowded media space. —Lisa Granatstein
Check out all of this year’s honorees:
- How the Producers of Friends Made a Show That’s as Popular Now as It Was 25 Years Ago
- For Ava DuVernay, ‘Heart-Expanding’ Storytelling Matters More Than the Medium
- The 2019 TV Hot List: The Year’s Biggest and Buzziest Shows, Networks and People
- The 2019 Digital Hot List: The Platforms and Innovators That Shaped a Pivotal Year
- The 2019 Publishing Hot List: The Print and Digital Media Brands Paving a Way to Profitability