Ahead of the Kentucky Derby each year, Adweek takes to the streets of New York to quiz random people about whether they can tell whether a name is a Kentucky Derby horse or an ad agency.
This year, with the Kentucky Derby postponed until Sept. 5 and most people still working remotely, we changed things up. We brought in marketers over Zoom to try their hand at the game with the best prize we’ve ever given out: a ticket to Brandweek Masters Live, a reimagined virtual experience for 2020. This year’s Brandweek is five days long, and features speakers from top brands like P&G, Walmart and AB-InBev, plus masterclasses and networking opportunities.
Without further ado, here’s this year’s edition of Kentucky Derby Horse or Ad Agency?
Here are this year’s contestants, in order of appearance:
- Yazmin Slim, digital marketing manager, Universal Pictures
- Brian J. Wilder, senior copywriter, Publix Super Markets
- Alyssa Alsheimer, vp, marketing, Wellframe
- Anna Melissa, copywriter
- Jack Appleby, senior creative strategist, Twitch
- Liz Whiting, head of marketing, Daily High Club
- Michael Krivicka, founder and director, whoisthebaldguy