It’s time once again to look at the monthly numbers in the social gaming world. While Facebook still bucks due to the slew of changes that the social network always seem to make, how does the more stable MySpace network hold up? Overall, the numbers have been fairly regularly in their growth, but a handful of games grew by rather surprising amounts, while others, continued on their negative trends from last month.
Curiously, of the apps doing well on MySpace, it is the less game-like ones such as Tag Me that have been doing better. This is partly due to fewer games being released for the platform compared to Facebook. Moreover, when they are, they’re usually of the typical, and highly dated, role-playing genre, with minimal, if any, core game play changes. Players need something new now and again.
Nevertheless, with MySpace’s relatively new iPhone and Android SDKs, as well as a “massive overhaul” coming this fall, perhaps it will finally see new developers and more sophisticated games seed its space.
Here are the highlights for the Top 25 MySpace Games for July 2010:
- Playdom‘s Mobsters sees a nice chunk of growth, gaining 58,836 new installations. It’s a monthly change that is almost 10,000 greater than the growth of last month.
- Mafia Wars does not see as big a gain as its chief competitor, only earning around 21,000 new installs. It is still a gain, but last month the increase was around 33,000.
- BitRhymes sees significant growth with its app, Tag Me. The long standing game tallies in at #5 with nearly 7.7 million users, gaining just south of 300,000 new installs this past month.
- Zynga Poker also sees growth, though, again, less than the month prior. Coming in at #6 with just over 7 million users, it’s monthly gain is 52,480 compared to last month’s 65,372.
- Other Zynga RPGs continue to drop with Street Racing (#11), Gang Wars (#20), Dragon Wars (#21), and Fashion Wars (#22) losing roughly 4,000, 13,000, 12,000, and 1,000 players respectively.
- On a lighter note, Oxylabs does extremely well with What is your Street Reputation, moving up to #15 from #18 with a gain of over 460,000 new installations, ousting Playdom’s Overdrive.
- Speed Racing from RockYou drops to #18, from #16, this month, but still gains about 15,000 new installations, with a total of almost 2.6 million users.
- Rounding out the list is Green Spot from WonderHill and older title, Bloodlines from Playdom. The two games garner 1.75 and 1.72 million user installs respectively.