Snapchat Users Are Very Likely to Watch a Brand’s Entire Story, Report Shows

Study includes video completion rate and how users find content

A new report gives brands stats about the red hot mobile app. Illustration: Yuliya Kim; Sources: Getty Images, Snapchat
Headshot of Lauren Johnson

When Snapchat users viewed a brand’s story, they watched the entire story nearly 88 percent of the time, according to a new report from analytic vendor Snaplytics.

The Copenhagen-based firm released a 27-page report today that outlines how brands, users and creators used the app to post and watch content organically during the fourth quarter of 2016 with some intriguing stats. The data is based on 500 brands’ accounts and more than 217,000 pieces of content collected from more than 24,000 stories—the groups of photos and videos that disappear after 24 hours.

While Snapchat is notorious for giving users and brands a limited set of data about the performance of their content, the report’s findings should give brands a slightly better idea about how content is consumed. Snaplytics found that 54.8 percent of an account’s followers watch the user’s stories and 87.5 percent—up from 85.3 percent during the second quarter—watch all of a story, equivalent to a completion rate. For context, Facebook experiences an ad-completion rate for videos that’s south of 20 percent, per Salesforce.

Moreover, video makes up 61 percent of all content posted, while photos represent the other 39 percent. Per the findings, brands posted an average of 11 pieces of content per story.

Here’s a more detailed look at how the length of stories breaks down by industry.

In terms of how users find accounts, 64 percent use the search bar within Snapchat’s app to type in a username to find and follow an account. Another 25 percent use Snapchat’s QR code-like Snapcodes and 9 percent use deep links to find accounts.

This graph shows how Snapcodes grew as a way for people to discover Snapchat content in 2016. Snapchat began formally offering Snapcodes as part of advertising packages last fall for brands including Netflix.

@laurenjohnson Lauren Johnson is a senior technology editor for Adweek, where she specializes in covering mobile, social platforms and emerging tech.