The various types of sponsored stories offered by Facebook require more financial investment on the part of advertisers, but also deliver far better results, according to the findings of a new report by Salesforce.com, released Tuesday.
Salesforce.com analyzed the following types of Facebook ads, drawing its data from more than 1 million ad units from Jan. 1 through March 31, with more than 114 billion impressions:
- Inline likes
- Application ads
- Page post ads
- Mobile app install ads
- Page like sponsored stories
- App action sponsored stories
- Page post action sponsored stories
- Page post like sponsored stories
- Check-in sponsored stories
Findings by Salesforce.com included:
- Click-through rates were well above average for several types of sponsored stories, including check-in stories and page post like stories.
- App ads, click ads, event RSVPs, and inline likes generated low CTRs but were all inexpensive in terms of cost per impression.
- Mobile app install ads delivered above-average cost per click and CPI.
- Sponsored app action stories cost 25 percent more per app install when compared with their nonsponsored counterparts but drove app installs at a rate 5.7 times higher.
- Sponsored page like stories cost 43 percent more per like than their nonsponsored counterparts but were 13.7 times more successful at delivering page likes.