Tonight marked the first D&AD Impact Awards, a global awards show held at New York's PlayStation Theater and hosted by Baratunde Thurston. D&AD presented its Pencil awards to projects that not only benefit society, but also contribute to brands' bottom line.
Two big winners took home both Black Pencils for "truly game-changing work" and White Pencils: French supermarket chain Intermarché for the "Inglorious Fruits and Vegetables" campaign by agency Marcel, and Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America for "Taking Aim At Corporate America" by Grey Canada.
"We're in a post-CSR environment in which businesses are now acutely aware that consumers are demanding ethical as well as financial value from their products and services," D&AD CEO Tim Lindsay said. "Tokenistic projects no longer hold any weight for customers. Global industry cannot afford to neglect the imperative that their bottom line must now be driven by purpose as well as profit. The winners are case studies for creating a better future."
Winners were divided into 12 categories including communication and interaction, community, diversity and equality, education, environmental sustainability, financial empowerment, humanitarian aid, health and wellness, industry evolution, government engagement, responsible production and consumption, and urban living.
Judges included celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, Droga5 creative chairman and founder David Droga and Getty Images CMO Susan Smith Ellis.
Overall, 20 campaigns scored White Pencils, with 87 total Pencils going out overall. Take a look at the other White Pencil-winning campaigns below:
• R/GA's "Love Has No Labels" won for the Ad Council
• We Believers' "Edible Six-Pack Rings" won for Saltwater Brewery
• Droga5's "This is Wholesome" campaign won for Honeymaid
• David Buenos Aires' "#ManBoobs4Boobs" won for MACMA
• JWT Colombia's "Lifesaver Backpack" won for Casa Luker
• Pinkwater & Putman's "Fair Food Program Branding Campaign" won for Coalition of Immokalee Workers
• Venables Bell & Partners' "#OptOutside" won for REI
• Cohn and Jansen JWT's "Purity Test" won for Valvis Holding
• JWT Bangkok's "Touchable Ink" won for Thai Samsung Electronics
• Leo Burnett's joint effort from Toronto, Chicago and London/Holler on the "Redefining #LikeAGirl" campaign won for P&G
• Ogilvy & Mather, Mumbai's "Beauty Tips by Reshma" won for Make Love Not Scars
• Colenso BBDO's "Brewtroleum" won for DB Breweries, DB Export
• Grey London's "Ryman Eco" won for Ryman
• BeeInventive's "Flow Hive" won for BeeInventive Pty Ltd
• Forsman & Bodenfors' "The Organic Effect" won for Coop
• Publicis London's "Depaul Box Co" won for Depaul UK
• PHD India's "The Story of an Unborn Child – Chamki" won for Hindustan Unilever Limited
• Edelman Deportivo's "Give a Beep" won for Hovding
• DigitasLBi North America's "Care Counts" won for Whirlpool
• BBDO India's "Dads #ShareTheLoad" won for P&G India