For better or for worse, another “Nerd Prom” has come and gone.
And whether it was Grover Norquist serving whiskey at IJReview’s “Speakeasy” party or Keegan-Michael Key crashing the dinner as Obama’s anger translator, it was a weekend full of surprises, laughs and heavy drinking.
But now, it’s time to nurse that accumulated hangover and get back to work. Let’s take a look back at some of the highlights from the weekend:
Best venue: Capitol File Party at the residence of the British Ambassador
- Capitol File once again hosted their party at the beautiful home of British Ambassador to the United States, Sir Peter Westmacott, and once again, it was a WHCD week favorite. The residence, located on Mass. Ave., has a classy English estate-vibe inside and out. And unlike many of the weekend parties, this one is cozy and tight-nit, yet had no shortage of big names, including: Cecily Strong, Valerie Jarrett, Ash Carter, Andrea Mitchell, Lorne Michaels, Wolf Blitzer, Dana Bash, Norman Reedus and Lauren Cohan.
Best joke: literally anything that came out of Keegan-Michael Key‘s mouth.
- Keegan-Michael Key was not slated to perform on Saturday, but, man, did he kill it in a role he was born to play — Obama’s anger translator. FBDC caught up with Key following the dinner and told us that he would like to his comedic partner, Jordan Peele, up on stage with him next year. We certainly can get behind that idea.
Best Party: MSNBC After Party
- By this point in the evening, the jokes were over and everyone was already pretty intoxicated. You could pretty much just name a person from NBC and they were there. A lot of fun, but if you’re still standing this late in the night, that’s an accomplishment within itself.
Best Brunch: Tammy Haddad‘s Garden Brunch
- No surprise here. The annual brunch thrown by Tammy Haddad is widely renowned as the premier event outside of the dinner itself. This year was no different. The guest list packed with celebs, politicians, and media types, including: Aasif Mandvi, Katie Couric, Wolf Blitzer, Valerie Jarrett, Shane Smith, Chris Matthews, Jose Andres, Jake Tapper, Bret Baier, Jason Chaffetz, Timothy Simons, Ronan Farrow, Hillary Rosen, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Ed Henry, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jason Isaacs, Norman Reedus, Sophie Turner, Gina Rodriquez, Constance Zimmer, Elizabeth Thorpe, Dana Bash, Greta Van Susteren, and Chris Jansing.
Best Food: The Hill, Extra Party at the Canadian Embassy
- A little bit of personal bias here, but the choice of seafood at the Canadian Embassy was on point. A real Neptunian smorgasbord, including crab claws, oysters on the half shell, scallops, and shrimp.
Best drinks: IJReview & DISCUS “Speakeasy” Party
- Having Grover Norquist serve you drinks within itself is kinda nuts, but when he’s casually serving you Johnnie Walker Blue Label… that’s a whole other story. Shouldn’t be totally surprised though, as the event was co-hosted by the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States.