Former WaPo Staffer Dies of Lung Cancer

Former WaPo staffer Tina Gulland died Wednesday of lung cancer. A memo from Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli was sent to staff this morning. She was WaPo‘s first Director of TV and Radio Projects in the mid ’90s. She built the paper’s first live shot TV studio. She retired from WaPo in 2008.

Find out more about her after the jump…




Note: Redundancies have been edited out of the memo.

To: NEWS – All Newsroom
We are sorry to deliver the sad news that former staffer Tina Gulland died Wednesday of metastatic lung cancer at her home in Aldie, Va. Tina, a
longtime broadcast professional, was the Post’s first Director of Television and Radio Projects in the mid-1990s. In that capacity, Tina
planned and implemented journalistic partnerships with national television and radio networks through which Post reporters provided on-air news
coverage and commentary. Tina, who came to the paper from Post-Newsweek television stations’ Washington bureau, built the Post newsroom’s first
live shot TV studio, and helped guide The Post’s brief foray into radio.

Len Downie, who hired her, said: “Tina was instrumental in making broadcast a significant part of our newsroom — cheerfully converting skeptics, energetically building facilities and recruiting talented staff, and tirelessly training and shepherding so many of us onto the air. Her legacy endures in today’s multi-media Washington Post newsroom. And her remarkable can-do spirit will never be forgotten by those of us privileged
to work with her.”

Tina retired from The Post in 2008. A full account of her impressive media career is below. She is survived by her husband of 40 years, Eugene
D. Gulland of Little River Farm, Aldie, VA; son Michael of Washington, D.C., daughter Molly Gulland Gaston of Washington, DC; son Lt. Sam Gulland
of Fort Benning, GA; grandson Max Gaston; sister Mary Spearing of Washington, D.C.; and brother Thomas J. Spearing, Jr., of St. Louis. Arrangements for a memorial service have not been finalized but we’ll pass along information as it becomes available. The family requests that, in
lieu of flowers, contributions in Tina’s memory be made to the Washington Jesuit Academy.

Tina Gulland Bio:

Kristin Mary Spearing was born on September 7, 1948, in St. Louis, MO, a daughter of the late Thomas Joseph Spearing and Mona Malloy Spearing.
Tina grew up in St. Louis and, from adolescence, in New York City. She graduated from Manhattanville College in 1970 and attended the American
Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.  After marrying Gene Gulland, she moved to New Haven where he was attending law school.  Tina took a job as a receptionist for a New Haven radio station (WAVZ), and soon convinced the station’s management to let her do on-air commercials and eventually local news stories.  In the early 1970s, women news reporters were rare.

Tina and Gene moved to Washington in 1973, where Tina covered news as a part-time reporter for WWDC and other local stations.  Later that year,
she was hired as a reporter for the Washington Bureau of Storer Broadcasting Company, for which she covered the Watergate scandal.  On the
strength of that work, she was hired by NBC Radio in 1976, which was starting a national all-news radio format (the “News and Information
Service”) headquartered at WRC Radio in Washington.  When the News and Information Service project was terminated after about two years, Tina
became a reporter, then morning anchor and later the News Director of WRC Radio.

Tina left WRC in the early 1980s and spent several years first as a National Correspondent for Metromedia television in Washington, and then as
an anchor and news director for Voice of America.  She was then hired by the legendary Jim Snyder to serve as the Bureau Chief and chief political
correspondent for the Washington Post-Newsweek television bureau in Washington, which provided national political and government coverage for
the five Washington Post Company TV stations.  Besides day-to-day coverage of the White House and Capitol Hill, Tina traveled nationally to report and supervise coverage of such events as the Presidential primaries, national conventions and campaigns, and visits of Pope John Paul II and other

While continuing her work at the Post-Newsweek’s Washington Bureau, Tina also assumed the position of Executive Producer for “Inside Washington
With Gordon Peterson,” and she served as the host and moderator when Gordon Peterson was on vacation or otherwise unavailable.

After the Post-Newsweek Washington Bureau closed, Tina continued to produce Inside Washington and became Director for Television and Radio
Projects for the Washington Post.  In that capacity, Tina planned and implemented journalistic partnerships with national television and radio
networks through which Washington Post newspaper reporters provide on-air news coverage and commentary.  Tina’s office was in the Post Newsroom and she especially treasured the stimulation and professional rewards of working closely with Post reporters and editors, as well as participating in editorial meetings.  She often confided that she would gladly have worked for free.

Tina retired from the Post in 2008 and threw herself into new projects.  She became a trustee and later Chair of Oatlands Plantation, a
property in the Trust for Historic Preservation in Leesburg, near her home. She was accepted into the program for docent candidates at the National
Gallery of Art, where she made many new friendships.  She also became a tour guide at the Library of Congress.  Tina became especially devoted to
weekly volunteer teaching at the Washington Jesuit Academy, which provides scholarships offering rigorous all-day academic and sports programs to
prepare middle-school boys for admission to academically challenging high schools.

Marcus       Liz      Raju