Bozell Wins Finlandia

Bozell in New York has won the $10 million Finlandia Vodka worldwide creative account, the agency confirmed. The shop beat out Arnold in St. Louis and Interpublic Group sibling Lowe Lintas & Partners in New York following pitches at the client’s Louisville, Ky., headquarters three weeks ago.

The bulk of media planning and buying will continue to be handled by an in-house group at Brown-Forman, which owns 45 percent of Finlandia (the other 55 percent is owned by The Altia Group of Helsinki, Finland).

Global marketing director Scott Reid, who is an 18-year Brown-Forman veteran and headed up the review, confirmed the decision. Jane Maas, chairman emeritus and former president at Earle Palmer Brown in New York, managed the process, which began in August.

The most recent effort for the vodka via Mezzina/Brown in New York played up the brand’s superior ratings in a blind taste test conducted by Russian Life magazine. The tagline: “Tasting is believing.”

According to CMR, the brand spent less than $3 million on U.S. measured media in 2000 and $600,000 for the first six months of 2001.