Mediabistro Early Bird Newsfeed

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

AP Photographer Killed, Reporter Wounded in Afghanistan (The Associated Press)
An Afghan police commander opened fire Friday on two Associated Press journalists, killing Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Anja Niedringhaus and wounding veteran correspondent Kathy Gannon — the first known case of a security insider attacking journalists in Afghanistan. FishbowlNY Niedringhaus and Gannon were covering the nation’s election when a policeman opened fire on their vehicle. Niedringhaus was killed instantly and Gannon was shot twice and later underwent surgery.Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Niedringhaus and Gannon were traveling in a convoy of election workers delivering ballots from the center of Khost city to the outskirts, in Tani district, protected by the Afghan National Army and Afghan police. As they were sitting in the car waiting for the convoy to move, a unit commander named Naqibullah walked up to the car, yelled “Allahu Akbar” — God is Great — and opened fire on them in the back seat with his AK-47. He then surrendered to the other police and was arrested. BBC News The attack came as Afghanistan intensified security ahead of presidential elections on Saturday, in response to threats of violence by the Taliban. The new president will succeed Hamid Karzai, who has been in power since the 2001 fall of the Taliban but is constitutionally barred from seeking a third consecutive term. The run-up to this historic election had already been the bloodiest, and fears of electoral fraud are pronounced. NYT Niedringhaus, a German citizen who was based in Geneva, first came to Afghanistan after joining the AP in 2002, and she quickly formed a partnership with Gannon. They were among a band of female photographers and correspondents who persevered through many years of conflict in Iraq as well as in Afghanistan. In the process, they helped redefine traditional notions of war reporting. Even as they covered the battlefield, they also focused attention on the human impact of conflicts known for their random, unpredictable violence against civilians.

Court Ruling: Case Against MSNBC’s Ed Schultz May Proceed (The Washington Post / Erik Wemple)
A federal appeals court ruled Friday that a legal action taken by an NBC employee against MSNBC’s Ed Schultz over compensation from his television deal may proceed to a jury. Michael Queen sued Schultz in 2011, alleging fraud and breach of contract, among other charges, in the aftermath of what Queen alleges was a partnership with Schultz to secure a television program for him. TVNewser Queen and Schultz met in January 2008 at NBC in Washington. Queen claims he approached Schultz and asked him if he had anybody helping him try to land a TV show. “No,” Schultz is quoted as saying in the complaint. “Now you’re it!” Queen set up the taping of aMcLaughlin Group-style program at WUSA-TV, the CBS affiliate in Washington, D.C. Queen claims to have also pitched CBS, Fox News, MSNBC and some syndicators, but nothing came of those meetings. A year later, MSNBC president Phil Griffin reached out directly to Schultz, and a deal was made. HuffPost The lawsuit has been going slowly through the courts since 2011. Queen, an engineer in NBC’s Washington bureau, filed a federal lawsuit against Schultz for at least $100,000 — the amount Queen says he is owed as a portion of the profits from The Ed ShowTHR / Hollywood, Esq. In the 2011 suit, the plaintiff said there was first a verbal deal and that later an exchange of emails setting out the terms of a partnership. Schultz refused to sign a written agreement, though, and negotiations dragged on. When Schultz accepted an offer from MSNBC to host The Ed Show, Queen sued for breach of contract, fraud in the inducement, tortious interference and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Schultz responded by counterclaiming for fraud, slander and libel. In August 2012, a judge rejected all of the claims on summary judgment.

The Toledo Blade Files Lawsuit After Journalists Detained (Toledo Blade)
The Blade filed a lawsuit Friday in U.S. District Court against a variety of government officials over the detention of two journalists by military security outside the General Dynamics Lima tank plant. Blade reporter Tyrel Linkhorn and photographer Jetta Fraser were detained March 28 by military security outside the plant and had cameras confiscated and pictures deleted. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Linkhorn and Fraser were in Lima, a western Ohio city about 80 miles southwest of Toledo, covering a Ford Motor Co. news conference at the automaker’s plant there. Afterward, they went to shoot photos of businesses in the area for future use, including the tank plant, which is also known as the Joint Systems Manufacturing Center. The reporters were at the entry portions of the plant, in an area where no fence or gate restricted access, according to the complaint. They did not pass a guard hut, which is about 30 feet from Buckeye Road. Fraser took several photographs, all of which were of property visible from public streets. HuffPost Military police stopped the pair in the driveway of the factory, detained them and confiscated their cameras — after they had identified themselves as journalists. Photos the journalists had taken were deleted. Poynter / MediaWire The lawsuit also says the MPs “repeatedly addressed and referred to plaintiff Fraser in terms denoting the masculine gender. Plaintiff Fraser objected and requested that defendants employ an appropriate mode of address.”

Stephen Colbert Is CBS’ Top Choice to Succeed Letterman, And He’s Into It (Mashable)
Stephen Colbert is CBS’ top choice to replace the retiring David Letterman, and has indicated that he’s willing to take over The Late Show when the time comes, people familiar with both sides of the discussions say. Colbert has not had any formal contract discussions with CBS, and no agreement is in place, but sources say that he first engaged with network executives while Letterman was still mulling the timing of his retirement. Mediaite Letterman is planning to depart some time in 2015, and Colbert’s Comedy Central contract is up at the end of 2014. CBS has, of course, been talking to lots of people about the spot (including Jon Stewart), but sources say Colbert is “the front-and-center candidate.” Variety Colbert has hosted The Colbert Report in the persona of faux conservative commentator since 2005 after getting his start on Comedy Central’sThe Daily Show With Jon Stewart. Moving to CBS would give him the opportunity to move out from behind the mask of the fulminating Bill O’Reilly-esque character he’s played for nearly a decade.

Hillary Clinton: Media ‘Double Standard’ on Women (Politico)
Hillary Clinton discussed her work at the State Department, called for young women not to take criticisms personally and rapped the media for treating powerful women with a double standard at the kickoff of “Women in the World” in New York City. TVNewser “There is a double standard,” Clinton said. “The double standard is alive and well, and I think in many respects the media is the principal propagator of its persistence,” she added. Clinton’s comments about the media’s gender double standard came a day after a new Women’s Media Center report showed a different issue when it comes to females and the media: a wide gap between the number of female media figures and their male counterparts. HuffPost Clinton also offered words of advice to young women, telling them not to take the media’s treatment of them personally and to remain tough in the face of such criticisms. She added that it is time to start discussing “all the lines that divide us” as to not further distance the gap between men and women.

Condé Nast Settles Intern-Pay Lawsuit (Capital New York)
Condé Nast is settling a lawsuit brought by two former interns, CEO Chuck Townsend said in a staff memo Friday. The lawsuit, “Ballinger v. Advance Magazine Publishers, Inc.,” was filed in U.S. District Court in New York last June by Lauren Ballinger and Matthew Leib, who alleged they had been paid below minimum wage for their respective summer internships at W magazine and The New Yorker. About four months later, Condé Nast decided it would discontinue its internship program. Poynter / MediaWire According to the staff memo, Townsend said, “We believe that settling the lawsuit at this time is the right business decision for Condé Nast.” The terms of the settlement are still being worked out. Adweek In his memo, Townsend praised the now-defunct internship program, writing, “We are, and have always been, extremely proud of the internship experiences that were offered at Condé Nast… The training and contacts our interns received at Condé Nast helped many begin successful careers here and elsewhere.”