Kia’s slapstick spot for the Niro starring Melissa McCarthy leads our chart of the most digitally engaging commercials, powered by iSpot.tv.
The chart-topping Kia spot, which has McCarthy starring as a hapless eco-warrior, was a Super Bowl commercial that’s now had more than 900 post-game airings. Budweiser and Honda have also kept their Big Game ads in commercial rotation, with increasing engagement from viewers.
But as popular as those ads continue to be, they’ve been getting serious competition in the form of splashy new creatives that ran during the Grammys—mostly notably from Target, Adidas and Nike.
Target’s “It Takes Two,” starring Carly Rae Jepsen and Lil Yachty, runs three full minutes and plays like a big-budget music video. Adidas also goes the quasi-music video route, though with a dark and surrealistic edge that reimagines Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.” And Nike’s “Equality” spot, featuring LeBron James, Serena Williams and Kevin Durant, continues the issues-oriented thread that generated plenty of conversation and controversy (e.g., Budweiser’s immigration-themed ad) during the Super Bowl.
This ranking covers the seven-day period through Feb. 14 for campaigns with a minimum spend of $500,000; digital engagement is a measure of social mentions and shares, online views and searches explicitly linked to the airing of an ad on TV.
Top 10 Ads by Digital Share of Voice
powered by iSpot.tv
1. Kia Niro Super Bowl 2017 TV Spot, “Hero’s Journey” Feat. Melissa McCarthy
4.95 percent digital SOV 6,621,792 online views 162,369 social actions
2. Nike TV Spot, ”Equality” Feat. LeBron James, Serena Williams, Kevin Durant
2.91 percent digital SOV 4,328,323 online views 46,369 social actions
3. Target TV Spot, ”It Takes Two” Featuring Carly Rae Jepsen, Lil Yachty
2.47 percent digital SOV 4,309,029 online views 30,357 social actions
4. Evony: The King’s Return Super Bowl 2017 TV Spot, ”Battle of Evony”
1.24 percent digital SOV 1,991,593 online views 914 social actions
5. Air Wick V.I.Poo TV Spot, ”Magic Wanda”
0.83 percent digital SOV 586,656 online views 65,725 social actions
6. Budweiser Super Bowl 2017 TV Spot, ”Born the Hard Way”
0.78 percent digital SOV 819,973 online views 49,514 social actions
7. Honda CR-V Super Bowl 2017 TV Spot, ”Yearbooks” Ft. Steve Carell, Tina Fey
0.70 percent digital SOV 952,138 online views 18,525 social actions
8. Adidas Originals TV Spot, ”ORIGINAL is Never Finished” Featuring Snoop Dogg
0.69 percent digital SOV 2,610,789 online views 16,957 social actions
9. GNC TV Spot, ”Courage to Change”
0.57 percent digital SOV 992,130 online views 3,141 social actions
10. KFC Georgia Gold TV Spot, ”Success” Featuring Billy Zane
0.56 percent digital SOV 887,348 online views 3,684 social actions
Excludes Movie Trailers. iSpot.tv catalogs, tags and measures activity around national TV ads in real-time, measuring digital responses explicitly linked to the airing of TV ads across Facebook Twitter, YouTube, the major search portals and on iSpot.tv.