Nielsen Social Content Ratings Just Started Breaking Out Owned, Organic Engagement

The new analytical capabilities launched with Twitter data in the U.S., Australia, Italy and Mexico

Nielsen announced Tuesday that its Nielsen Social Content Ratings now enable clients to break out owned activity and organic activity.

The new analytical capabilities launched with Twitter data in the U.S., Australia, Italy and Mexico, and Nielsen said Facebook and Instagram will be added “at a later date.”

The ratings provider said in a press release that the enhanced capabilities will help clients determine how much engagement is coming from content posted by owned accounts associated with television networks or specific programs, as well as how much was generated by organic posts from viewers and fans.

Nielsen said in an email to Social Pro Daily that it analyzed one week in March and found that 64 percent of Twitter engagement related to TV programs was driven by organic content, with the remaining 36 percent driven by owned tweets.

The company added that sports events tended to drive more organic engagement than TV series. More details are available here.

Nielsen Social senior vice president of global product Johann Dudley said in a release announcing the new capabilities:

Networks are continuing to invest in social strategies to drive awareness and engagement around programs. Being able to provide both owned and organic analysis now gives clients and the industry a trusted source of syndicated measurement to understand the return on those investments and how they play a role in driving the overall social conversation about television.