Santa Claus Never Met a Product He Didn't Want to Endorse A gallery of St. Nick ads
Jolly old fat dude Santa Claus is a pop-culture icon, but he's technically not a licensed entertainment character. He's in the public domain, which means he's always been up for grabs as a brand spokesman. And marketers have taken full advantage for decades, using his likeness to hawk everything from cars and refrigerators to fast food and soda (famously and memorably, Coca-Cola). But did you know Santa likes a cold Budweiser with his feast, prefers GE lightbulbs and thinks you should "Give her a Hoover" vacuum cleaner for Christmas? Check out more of St. Nick's memorable shills in this collection of vintage Santa ads in Reminisce magazine.
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Tumblr
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- 66 Great Movie Taglines From the Past 30 Years
- Dumb Ways to Die Is Now a Video Game for the iPhone and iPad
- Hyundai Remixes Bob Marley's 'Three Little Birds' for New Ad
- Cosmo's Joanna Coles Wants to Talk Politics, Not Just Sex
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.