Giant Facebook Photo Mosaic Celebrates 40 Years of Title IX Women athletes flock to espnW project
The celebrate the 40th anniversary of Title IX, the federal rule that requires equal support for women's college athletics, espnW is asking thousands of women on Facebook to contribute photos to a massive interactive mosaic. The Power of IX photo project already includes more than 2,000 images representing a vast array of women's sports, from track and tennis to roller derby and rowing. Visitors can upload photos directly from their Facebook albums or browse the gallery by sport or athlete name. Katie Richman, social-media strategy director for ESPN's female sports channel, says the goal is to help visualize the impact of a landmark rule that has helped millions of women become active in sports. "We decided to ask women everywhere to be a part of history—to help us build the largest mosaic of female athlete photos ever assembled," Richman tells AdFreak. "And by female athlete, we mean any woman or girl who plays a sport now, ever played or plays for fun. Someone who does yoga, hikes, kayaks, summits Everest, plays kickball. All athletes." UPDATE: espnW says it will unveil the final mosaic on Thursday, June 21, by projecting it onto the 74-foot-high First Amendment Tablet at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Ads for Playboy Fragrances Have Plenty of Happy Endings, and a Few Weird Ones Too
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- Ad of the Day: Nike
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.