Group D of 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil wrapped up its games with a bite, literally, Tuesday, and more than 16 million Facebook users were responsible for more than 30 million interactions (posts, comments, and likes) related to group winner Costa Rica’s 0-0 draw with England and Uruguay’s controversial 1-0 defeat of Italy, according to the Facebook Data Science Team.
The two matches were played simultaneously, and the two players who received the most buzz on Facebook were Luis Suárez of Uruguay and Mario Balotelli of Italy, according to the Facebook Data Science Team, which added that the top five social moments of the Group D games were:
- Diego Godin scores in the 81st minute to give Uruguay a 1-0 lead over Italy.
- The final whistle in the Uruguay-Italy contest.
- Suárez appears to bite Giorgio Chiellini of Italy on the shoulder during the 80th minute, but no foul is called.
- Italy’s Claudio Marchisio is red-carded in the 59th minute, leaving his team one man short for the rest of the match.
- Antonio Cassano replaces Ciro Immobile for Italy in the 71st minute.
The top five demographic groups discussing Tuesday’s games were:
- Men 18 through 24.
- Men 25 through 34.
- Men 35 through 44.
- Women 25 through 34.
- Women 18 through 24.
And the countries discussing the Group D matches the most were: