REPORT: Facebook Desktop News Feed Ad Placements Costly for Black Friday, Cyber Monday

By David Cohen 

HolidayShoppingTablet650Digital marketing agency 3Q Digital shared some insights about the Black Friday and Cyber Monday Facebook advertising performances of two of its clients, finding that while mobile accounted for most of the traffic, desktop News Feed ads were much costlier.

3Q Digital analyzed the activity of a leading children’s educational toy subscription service and a leading online jewelry supplier, finding that:

  • Both clients ran substantial discounts in ads specifically mentioning Black Friday and Cyber Monday, with the toy company offering 40 percent off the first month’s subscription and the jewelry supplier 50 percent off its entire catalog.
  • Both featured direct calls to action, such as “shop now” and “join the movement.”
  • While mobile accounted for the majority of traffic, increased competition drove the prices up for desktop News Feed ads.
  • The jewelry supplier experienced “tremendous performance” with its holiday-focused ads that contained clear calls to action, as well as its use of Facebook’s website custom audiences.
  • The highest revenue-generating hour on Black Friday was 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET, driving 50 percent more revenue than the early afternoon hours.
  • Lookalike audiences accounted for 8 percent of Black Friday revenue, with the other 92 percent coming from retargeting.
  • 44 percent of that retargeting revenue came from existing fans, while 46 percent came from website custom audiences and 10 percent from existing customers.
  • Click-through rates on Black Friday-specific ads were 326 higher than average CTRs.
  • Cost per click of $0.38 for Black Friday-specific ads was down nearly 60 percent from average CPCs of $0.94 across devices.
  • The 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET hour on Cyber Monday accounted for more than 20 percent of the day’s total revenue.
  • Website custom audiences accounted for 51 percent of overall Cyber Monday revenue, with 14 percent of that generated via lookalike audiences and 86 percent via retargeting.
  • Mobile drove more than 75 percent of traffic on both Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
  • CPCs for desktop News Feed ad placements were 89 percent above average on Black Friday and 71 percent on Cyber Monday when compared with mobile.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock.

Advertisement
Advertisement