According to the Pew Research Center’s 2014 social media report, there has been no growth from 2013 in Facebook usage among U.S. adults polled, while Instagram has risen considerably.
Pew surveyed 1,597 U.S. adults who use the Internet, finding that 71 percent of them used Facebook — the same percentage reported last year. Meanwhile, Instagram grew from 17 percent last year to 26 percent in 2014.
While it would be easy to assume that younger users are the ones leaving the site, Facebook usage among 18-29 year olds in the study actually rose 3 percent (from 84 to 87 percent). The biggest age group drop for Facebook came with the 30 to 49 year old crowd, who fell from 79 percent in 2013 to 73 percent in 2014.
Pew summarized Facebook activity in the survey:
Facebook continues to be the most popular social media site, but its membership saw little change from 2013. The one notable exception is older adults: For the first time in Pew Research findings, more than half (56%) of internet users ages 65 and older use Facebook. Overall, 71% of internet users are on Facebook, a proportion that represents no change from August 2013.
Every other social media platform measured saw significant growth between 2013 and 2014. Instagram not only increased its overall user figure by nine percentage points, but also saw significant growth in almost every demographic group. LinkedIn continued to grow among groups with which it was already popular, such as professionals and college graduates, while Twitter and Pinterest saw increases in usership across a variety of demographic groups.
Other key statistics:
- 93 percent of Facebook users say they are Facebook friends with family members other than parents or children
- 91 percent say they are Facebook friends with current friends
- 87 percent say they are connected to friends from the past, such as high school or college classmates
- 58 percent say they are connected to work colleagues
- 45 percent say they are Facebook friends with their parents
- 43 percent say they are friends with their children on Facebook
- 39 percent say they are connected to people they have never met in person
- 36 percent say they are Facebook friends with their neighbors
- 70 percent say they use Facebook daily (49 percent for Instagram)
- 45 percent say they use Facebook several times a day (32 percent for Instagram)
- 65 percent of Facebook users frequently or sometimes share, post or comment on Facebook
- 52 percent use two or more of the social media sites measured (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn) compared with 42 percent who did so in 2013