What if you suddenly lost access to all of the photos, videos, status updates, wall posts, friends’ information, and other data on your Facebook account? It might be time to think about a backup solution.
Now there’s two such solutions to choose from. A social media component of SOS Online Backup launched today. The free application competes against Backupify, which debuted almost a year ago.
SOS Founder and Chief Executive Officer Ken Shaw says roughly 8 million of the social network’s 800 million members have been hacked or locked out of their profiles.
The things that you can do in SOS Social Backup include:
- Speedy, simple setup (we signed up in seconds and received an email about our first successful backup in minutes);
- Customize settings and choose which elements of Facebook profiles to back up, and when;
- You can view your backup history and restore profiles to any of the saved dates or times;
- Go back and look at what your Facebook profile looked like at any backup point (Shaw called it “a time machine for Facebook”);
- Generate a backup.html file, which is a fully contained package of the full versions of all files from users’ Facebook profiles;
- Convert friends’ information into .vcf Outlook contact files; and
- Recover all files into a second Facebook account.
Shaw mentioned a benefit to for brand managers: Backing up pages’ walls preserves written records of customer interactions.
And he added that support for Gmail and Twitter will be included in SOS Social Backup by year end.
SOS Social Backup is only one component of the newest version of the company’s platform, as it also supports backup of PCs, Macs, and iOS (Apple iPhone and iPad) and Android devices.
Pricing for the full package varies depending on the amount of data and the length of the commitment, and up to five PCs are supported. More information is available here.