The 2015 Major League Baseball season gets under way Sunday night, when the St. Louis Cardinals visit the Chicago Cubs at iconic Wrigley Field, and Sports on Facebook shared a series of maps detailing the clubs U.S. users root for.
Sports on Facebook found that:
- The New York Yankees remain the most-liked team in the U.S., with a plurality of fans in at least one county in 24 states.
- The defending American League champion Kansas City Royals have a plurality of fans in more Kansas and Nebraska counties than in their home state of Missouri.
- The three clubs that failed to gain a plurality in any U.S. county were the New York Mets, Oakland Athletics and Toronto Blue Jays, but the latter team dominates most of Canada.
- Out west, the Los Angeles Dodgers dominate Southern California, while the defending World Series champion San Francisco Giants ruled the middle and northern parts of the state.
- The Yankees have a plurality of fans on Oahu, but the rest of Hawaii belongs to the Giants.
Readers: Are you ready for Opening Day?