Instagram revamped its Instagram Direct messaging feature—which now includes disappearing photos and videos, along with texts and reshares—and the Facebook-owned photo- and video-sharing network announced that Instagram Direct now has 375 million monthly active users, up from 300 million last November.
Disappearing photos and videos were added to Instagram Direct last November, but they will now appear in the same thread as texts and reshares.
Instagram said in a blog post that the new Instagram Direct features are available in version 10.16 of its iOS and Android applications, adding in an email to Social Pro Daily that Tuesday’s update marks “the first of many improvements” slated for Instagram Direct this year.
Here’s how the new Instagram Direct features work:
- Start a conversation or view your threads by swiping into Direct from feed. There are several ways to send a disappearing photo or video: Tap the camera icon next to a thread, the blue camera bar at the bottom of the inbox or the blue camera icon within a thread.
- Select friends or groups and hit “Send.”
- Friends can view your photo or video and replay it once.
- Friends can tap the blue camera icon to the left of the text box to reply with their own disappearing photo or video message, or reply with text or like directly in the thread.
- You can also send permanent photos and videos by tapping the gallery icon to the right of the text box and uploading from your camera roll.
- Disappearing photos and videos will appear directly in your group or one-on-one thread, in addition to text and reshares from feed, so you can see your entire conversation history from the beginning.