At its E3 2015 press conference, Square Enix announced a number of new projects for mobile devices.
For one, Square Enix announced Kingdom Hearts: Unchained χ (read as “Unchained Key”) for a North American release on iOS and Android, following the game’s announcement for release in Japan. In Unchained χ, players will experience a storyline which connects to Kingdom Hearts III, and will become a Keyblade Master of their own design, interacting with Disney characters as they defeat the Heartless in turn-based battles.
From the game’s early trailer, it appears the game will continue the franchise’s tradition of exploring famous Disney properties, including the worlds of Hercules, Aladdin, Alice in Wonderland and Snow White. Players will collect and use items to customize the attacks of their Keyblades, and will be able to partner with other players in guilds to defeat bosses. Another major element is the game’s outfit system, which will allow players to dress their hero in costumes based on seasonal events or Disney characters.
Kingdom Hearts: Unchained χ will be free-to-play with available in-app purchases. No specific release date was revealed.
In the game, players will explore the ruins of an ancient civilization, working to uncover the secrets associated with the myth of the Queen of Venom. Lara Croft GO is currently in development for release on smartphone and tablet in 2015.
In addition, the Final Fantasy Portal App was announced for iOS and Android. The app is described as a “comprehensive source” for information about the Final Fantasy series, including games, music, merchandise and events. The free app (which will offer in-app purchases) will include games to play, like Triple Triad, the popular card game from Final Fantasy VIII.
If players login with their Square Enix ID, they’ll accumulate points for logging in and viewing news and videos. These points can be exchanged for in-game items and digital prizes, including wallpapers.
Check out more of our E3 2015 coverage:
- E3 2015: Bethesda Launches Fallout Shelter on iOS
- E3 2015: Bethesda Unveils New Apps for The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 4
- What Does Facebook Game Exec Peter Jonas Want From E3? Mobile
- E3 2015: EA Announces Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes for Mobile
- E3 2015: Beeline Interactive Unveils Ghostbusters Puzzle Fighter for Mobile
- E3 2015: Telltale Games Announces The Walking Dead: Michonne for Mobile
- E3 2015: DotEmu Announces Titan Quest, Ys Chronicles II for Mobile
- E3 2015: 3 Queens Reveals Creeping With the Crudashians for Mobile