Facebook has emphasized birthdays in various ways over the past few years, including:
- Moving birthdays to the top of the mobile News Feed in October 2012.
- Introducing the cake icon in November 2012.
- Adding prompts to use its Gifts feature under birthday reminders in May 2013 (Gifts was discontinued last August).
- Adding upcoming birthdays to the top-right-hand corner of News Feed in June 2013.
- Sending Happy Birthday emails to users last August.
- Sprucing up its birthdays section last September, with the addition of balloons and the ability for users to add photos.
Readers: Are you seeing the new cake icon in your Facebook chat interfaces?