Facebook IQ’s “Five Ways to Unwrap Holiday 2015” follow, along with supporting data from the social network’s research arm:
Make it a gateway moment
- 59 percent of shoppers worldwide plan to do things differently this holiday season.
- 53 percent plan to shop across multiple channels.
- 40 percent plan to do more shopping online.
- 37 percent plan to do most of their shopping before Black Friday, with that number rising to one-half in the U.S. and U.K.
Make it experiential
- 44 percent of people say they want activities or meals with loved ones, but just 34 percent plan to give those as gifts.
- 41 percent want the gift of travel, but only 15 percent plan to give the gift of travel.
Make it visual
- 73 percent of posts, photos and videos in December 2014 were created via mobile.
- People share 28 percent more photos and videos via mobile during the holiday season than during the rest of the year.
- 63 percent of Instagram users say they use the Facebook-owned photo- and video-sharing network to document their lives.
Make it better
- Highlights of the holiday season for respondents included family (85 percent), food (60 percent), giving presents (44 percent), getting presents (37 percent) and travel (33 percent).
- On the flip side, “stressors” included financial pressure (47 percent), gift shopping (40 percent), cooking (21 percent), family (16 percent) and travel (13 percent).
Make it mobile
- Discovery: There are 8 billion video views per day on Facebook, with the vast majority of them via mobile devices.
- Action: 74 percent of millennials on Instagram take action based on posts.
- Sharing: 2.7 times more posts, photos and videos were shared via mobile last December than via desktop.
- Shopping: One-quarter of 2014 holiday shopping season purchases were made via mobile.
Marketers: Are you ready for the holiday rush?