It was advertised as the Best Job in the World, so poor Ben Southall, who beat out 35,000 other people to blog about his experiences on Hamilton Island in Australia, probably didn't see this coming. He managed to dodge a myriad of Australia's insanely poisonous creatures and the regular ones that will just eat you. Then, in late December, in his last week on the job, Ben got stung by an Irukandji jellyfish, an almost invisible creature slightly bigger than a match head that can kill you dead. Ah, irony. His symptoms of fever, headache, lower back pain, chest tightness and high blood pressure got him rushed to the hospital and diagnosed. Fortunately for Tourism Queensland, Ben's now fine. He's even taken responsibility for the incident, saying he should have been wearing a full wet suit (which he models, along with a ladyfriend, in the photo above). But the whole thing has shed un-PR-friendly light on two tourist deaths in 2002 caused by the same jellyfish. Note to self: If a job sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
—Posted by Rebecca Cullers