VeryFunnyAds.com: Volkswagens Are Great for Not-So-Easy Riders Can't hack the motorcycle? Get yourself a Jetta
It's the rare commercial that tries to appeal to men by telling them how unmanly they are. Yet that's the basic approach of this 2011 Ogilvy spot for Volkswagen in South Africa, one of several new additions to VeryFunnyAds.com. A couple of buddies do their best Easy Rider impressions, riding off into the countryside on their motorcycles together. But almost immediately, things begin to go awry—beginning with one guy swallowing a bug. Things go downhill from there, and soon it becomes clear that it's just a whole lot easier to drive a car—a Jetta, for example. It's a fun idea, though it's not quite clear who will see themselves in these characters. Also newly posted this week: Tom Kuntz's great ad for Hahn Super Dry beer, Muller's extravagant "Wonderful Stuff" spot, and several more ads. See them all at VeryFunnyAds.com.
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Ad of the Day: DirecTV
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.