'SNL' Spoof of Brad Pitt's Chanel Ad Only Slightly Sillier Than the Real Thing Taran Killam takes a crack at it
That Saturday Night Live would skewer Brad Pitt's Chanel No. 5 campaign was "inevitable." That's the word the hunky actor poutingly emoted at the end of his much adored/discussed/maligned Chanel spot that launched last week. Taran Killam appropriately used "inunderstandable" as the tag for the first of several Chanel lampoons on SNL this weekend. Killam makes for a subtly maniacal Pitt, less studly but seemingly more likely to jab you with a pen knife. His first stab at Brad works best, with the faux-commercial devolving into pure drivel, driving home the nonsensical nature of the source material. The joke's stretched a tad thin in subsequent Pitt-erations shilling for Taco Bell, canine condoms and ubiquitous NYC dermatologist Dr. Zizmor. Killam's whispered read of the line "Let your dog keep his balls" is inspired. I doubt the real Pitt could do better. Though I'd like to see him try.
Of the many Chanel send-ups flooding the Internet, the one below is my favorite—a bare-bones marvel that's gotten 500,000 YouTube views (so far) with a most un-Pitt-like performance from a gal with an Aussie accent and soiled face who just wants to stand in the corner and wishes that damn lightbulb would quit swaying overhead. Crikey!
- Yankees, Manchester City Team Up for MLS Launch
- ESPN's Cherie Cohen Headed to NBCUniversal to Focus on Cable
- Time.com Is On a Hiring Spree
- Pinterest Plays Coy on Ads, but Expect Commerce to Lead
- Digital Dignitaries Debate Display's Death
- Mayer Talks Tumblr Plans, Unveils New Flickr
- Spotify Launches Music Charts
- NBC Makes Bet on Fake Reality
- Nutella Thanks Its Biggest Fan, Founder of World Nutella Day, by Sending Her a Cease-and-Desist
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- Ad of the Day: Coca-Cola
- PETA's Incredibly Lifelike CGI Ape Begs You Never to Use Real Ones in Ads Again
- Even Home Intruders Get the Girl in Campaign for Axe's New Hair Products
- Advertising Student Ships His Pants to Kmart's Agency, Lands Internship
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.