'Siesta World Cup' Ad Launches Comedy Central in Latin America W+K celebrates region's napping championship
Comedy Central began broadcasting in Latin America in February, and now it gets an epic introductory commercial from Wieden + Kennedy, São Paulo, and famed Super Bowl director Bryan Buckley of Hungry Man. It celebrates a little-known but apparently hotly contested sporting championship—the Siesta World Cup! These guys are pros, too—they can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, and stay asleep, even on donkeyback. "The idea is simple: Make TV viewers laugh and remind them how good it feels to watch Comedy Central shows, which are 100 percent humor," said Guillermo Vega, W+K Sao Paulo's executive creative director. Buckley is more blunt. "I couldn't bring myself to watch a single Olympic event. And hell, I was in London when they were happening," he said. "That's how much shooting 'World Cup Siesta' messed with my mind. I kept saying to myself, What can possibly be more exciting than that?" Full credits after the jump.
Client: Comedy Central
Agency: Wieden + Kennedy, São Paulo, Brazil
Executive Creative Directors: Icaro Doria, Guillermo Vega
Copywriter: Hernan Rebalderia
Art Director: Santiago Dulce
Agency Producer: Endy Hedman
Creative Vice President, Comedy Central: Sean Saylor
Creative Director, Comedy Central: Hernan Damilano
Account Supervisor: Paula Obata
Planner: Tiago Pereira
Production Company: Hungry Man
Director: Bryan Buckley
Director of Photography: Scott Henriksen
Editor: Carlos Arias
Editing Company: Rock Paper Scissors
Executive Producer: Dan Duffy
Producer: Mino Jarjoura
Postproduction: The Mill
Music: Beacon Street Studios
Sound Design, Arrangement: Charlie Keating
Locutor (Voiceover): Heard City
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Twitter's TV Ad Targeting Uses 'Video Fingerprinting'
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.