Safe-Sex Campaign Stars Pair of Frustrated Musical Testicles Rusty and Vern's Blue Balls Blues
Here's an unconventional approach to promoting safe sex. Instead of warning viewers about pregnancy or STDs, this campaign focuses on a different affliction personified by two testicles named Rusty and Vern, who've got the blues real bad—the Blue Balls Blues—and want to tell you all about it through song.
"Rusty and Vern are a pair of balls on a mission. A mission to save mankind from big, bulging problems. Hailed as the rallying cry for any testicle that's ever suffered from man's eternal struggle to remember condoms, their debut single has critics buzzing, ladies applauding, and guys singing a different tune. So watch the video, enjoy the melody, but do mind their message. This is no labor of love for ol' Rusty and Vern. This, like so many blues greats before them, is the only way they could find release."
The work is from the creative team of John Lightstone, Antonio Marcato, Jon Barco and Brittany Weltner, with help from T2 Studios and Big Foote Music & Sound. You can even download the MP3 (“Sounds like how getting kicked in the nuts feels"). Posters and full credits after the jump.
Writer: John Lightstone
Art Directors: Antonio Marcato, Jon Barco
Junior Art Director: Brittany Weltner
Music: Big Foote Music & Sound
Executive Producer: Paul Seymour
Arrangers: Chris Jordão, Sherman Foote
Sound Design: Chris Jordão, Sherman Foote
Writers: Chris Jordão, Sherman Foote, John Lightstone
Singer: John Margolis
Harmonica: Mark Grandfield
Guitar: Chris Jordão
Production: T2 Studios
Creative Director: Travis Schlitter
Puppet Construction: Jeremy Casper
Director of Photography: Andy Romero
Puppeteers: Brandon Duncan, Adam Buritsch, Jon Barco, Antonio Marcato, Jeremy Casper
Motion Design: Brandon Duncan, Adam Buritsch, Sean McKeon
Animation: Brandon Duncan, Adam Buritsch, Sean McKeon, Joseph Sullivan
Illustration: Brandon Duncan, Adam Buritsch
Editors: Nick Stout, Jon Bazata
3-D Modeling: Sean McKeon, Joseph Sullivan
3-D Tracking: Sean McKeon
Smoke Artist: Nick Balda
Executive Producers: Teri Rogers, Ethan Downing
Assistant Producer: Reid Bangert
Production Assistant: Steven Bartkoski
Grip: Matt Blume
Online Presence: Benjamin Vanasse
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
- Twitter's TV Ad Targeting Uses 'Video Fingerprinting'
- How KitchenAid Gave Us the World’s Coolest Mixer
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- Y&R Asks You to Define What #AdvertisingIs
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.