Redheads swarm Wendy’s to protest logo
We gave Wendy’s a little heat last month for that spot with the pigtailed guy kicking trees, but apparently the burger chain has riled more than just us. Just as Wendy’s is turning its iconic red pigtails into an ongoing marketing tool (a new spot was up on YouTube briefly, but is now gone), redheads are turning out en masse to protest the logo. “We love Wendy’s,” a protest organizer said before demonstrating outside a Wendy’s in New York earlier this month. “We just wish they would have an accurate depiction of redheads. How many of us today wear our hair in pigtails? None, actually.” OK, so the protest isn’t real. It’s just the latest prank by Improv Everywhere, the folks who staged a classic invasion of Best Buy last year. Still, it’s considerably funnier buzz than Wendy’s has intentionally stirred up lately. Maybe they should give a few hundred pigtail wigs to the Improv Everywhere folks and see what happens. Once the Wendy’s execs are done wetting themselves, it might win them a Cannes Lion. UPDATE: Here’s the new pigtail spot, courtesy of Adrants.
—Posted by David Griner
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Tumblr
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Teens Make Time for Digital and Traditional Media
- Obscure Direct Response Brands Dominate Facebook Chatter
- Microsoft Hammers Google in Leaked Parody of a Chrome Ad
- Ad of the Day: Getty Images
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.