Paging Mike Kelly: no, not that one
Maybe you were hoping you’d wake up one morning and America Online would have fixed spam now and forever, but this is not that morning. Instead, AdFreak is happy to report that the online service has finally solved its lingering J. Michael Kelly problem. Or was it a Michael J. Kelly problem? Anyway, it was a problem.
J. Michael was head of AOL International, based out of Dulles Va. headquarters, and Michael J. (at right) as of about a year ago, was named president of AOL media networks out of New York. A source close to AdFreak tells us the internal confusion was originally cleared up – or so AOL thought – by referring to them by their office locations. Mike Kelly NY and Mike Kelly Dulles. (Hey here’s an idea — how ‘bout firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com?)
But apparently not. What it took in the end was a reorg. J. Michael decided to leave the company as of last month’s new reconfiguring of the Time Warner unit leaving only one Mike Kelly, the New York one, left. While that did lead to, in our source’s words, “scads” of emails being sent to Michael J. asking where he was going to, at least, now there’s only one. Maybe two heads are better than one, but It looks like one Mike Kelly may be simpler than two.
—Posted by Catharine P. Taylor
- Yankees, Manchester City Team Up for MLS Launch
- ESPN's Cherie Cohen Headed to NBCUniversal to Focus on Cable
- Time.com Is On a Hiring Spree
- Pinterest Plays Coy on Ads, but Expect Commerce to Lead
- Digital Dignitaries Debate Display's Death
- Mayer Talks Tumblr Plans, Unveils New Flickr
- Spotify Launches Music Charts
- NBC Makes Bet on Fake Reality
- Nutella Thanks Its Biggest Fan, Founder of World Nutella Day, by Sending Her a Cease-and-Desist
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- Ad of the Day: Coca-Cola
- PETA's Incredibly Lifelike CGI Ape Begs You Never to Use Real Ones in Ads Again
- Even Home Intruders Get the Girl in Campaign for Axe's New Hair Products
- Advertising Student Ships His Pants to Kmart's Agency, Lands Internship
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.