Old Spice Throws an Incomplete Pass to Greg Jennings Spot with Green Bay Packers star fails to connect
Old Spice's first ad with Green Bay Packers star Greg Jennings tries hard to replicate the inspired, random weirdness of the brand's work with Isaiah Mustafa and Terry Crews. Alas, this latest effort, part of Wieden + Kennedy's larger "Believe in your smellf" campaign, probably should have been left in the playbook. The spot finds Jennings playing frisbee with his cute pooch, Roscoe, on a football field. "When you use Old Spice Champion, it's like you're the star in a film about your own life," he says. The scene is then revealed to be taking place on a movie set, and the dog is just an unhappy, whiny actor in a furry suit, playing a bit part in someone else's story. There's a guy in a tree costume, too. It's amusing, but seems trapped in an uncomfortable midfield position, lacking the must-replay urgency of Mustafa's suavely goofball outings and the ALL-CAPS lunacy of Crews's delightfully loud and destructive oeurve. Worst of all, the Jennings ad just isn't very memorable. I've forgotten it already. I'll watch it again. Oh, right—it's a dog.
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Time.com Is on a Hiring Spree
- Droga5 Gives Qantas Fliers Paperbacks That Last Just as Long as the Flight
- The Story Behind 'This Is Water,' the Inspiring Video People Can't Stop Watching
- Ads for Playboy Fragrances Have Plenty of Happy Endings, and a Few Weird Ones Too
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.