Mountain Dew Soda-Naming Contest Crashed by Pranksters 'Diabeetus' among top entries on unsavory leaderboard
I always assume the worst will happen when companies solicit ideas from the Internet. For the latest evidence of this, look no further than this Mountain Dew "Dub the Dew" fiasco. An effort by a restaurant to crowdsource a name for an upcoming homemade green-apple-flavored Mountain Dew concoction has been hijacked, Pitbull style. Suddenly, its gallery of suggestions featured such winners as "Gushing Granny," "Diabeetus," and my personal favorite, "Fapple." As of Tuesday morning, dubthedew.com is no longer bringing up any content whatsoever—we're told it is down for good. While this comes on the heels of Something Awful's successful online vote-rigging operation for Walmart's Energy Sheets promotion with Pitbull, it seems a different set of neckbeards was responsible for hacking the Dew campaign. Online communities 4chan and Reddit are hurling blame at each other as we speak, which is fitting, because both websites are basically elephant graveyards for jokes that Something Awful has outgrown. Photo above by zentraveler. Via Mashable.
UPDATE: Mountain Dew sent us the following statement:
"Dub the Dew," a local market promotional campaign that was created by one of our customers—not Mountain Dew—was compromised. We are working diligently with our customer's team to remove all offensive content that was posted and putting measures in place to ensure this doesn't happen again. Mountain Dew has a legacy of engaging its most loyal fans to tap innovative ideas for the brand through really successful programs like "DEWMocracy" and "Your Malt Dew" and so we sincerely apologize to all of our fans who may have been offended by this customer's program.
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Ad of the Day: DirecTV
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Pinterest Plays Coy on Ads, but Expect Commerce to Lead
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Droga5 Gives Qantas Fliers Paperbacks That Last Just as Long as the Flight
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.