Does Chevy Owe a Popular Blog Credit for Its New Ad? Creative seems inspired by Dear Photograph
Chevrolet’s latest spot shows photos of old Chevies being held up against modern-day backgrounds. It’s lovely and leverages the brand’s history, but some are alleging the concept is stolen from the popular blog Dear Photograph. That's pretty unfounded, since the site's creator, Taylor Jones, freely admits he didn’t create the idea of taking a photo of a photo. Almost none of the photos on his blog are photos he took, but Jones still wishes Chevrolet would "give credit where credit is due." The blog is quite popular, so you certainly can’t assume Goodby, Silverstein & Partners weren’t aware of its existence. What’s wrong with, at the very least, contacting the guy and buying some advertising on his site? Or creating a contest to run on the blog like Virgin did with Awkward Family Photos? Even if it isn’t stealing, it’s a missed opportunity. Via Mashable.
- ESPN's Cherie Cohen Headed to NBCUniversal to Focus on Cable
- Digital Dignitaries Debate Display's Death
- Cramer-Krasselt Beats the Odds to Keep Porsche
- Mayer Talks Tumblr Plans, Unveils New Flickr
- Spotify Launches Music Charts
- NBC Makes Bet on Fake Reality
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
- Can the Empire State Building Brand Its View?
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- Nutella Thanks Its Biggest Fan, Founder of World Nutella Day, by Sending Her a Cease-and-Desist
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Fast Chat: Jann Wenner
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- Advertising Student Ships His Pants to Kmart's Agency, Lands Internship
- Pinterest Adds Advertiser-Friendly Features
- WPP Created One Big Digital Shop From 8 Smaller Ones
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.