Did Twitter's First Commercial Have to Be So #Crappy? Shaky spot doesn't do it justice
Twitter has been taking hits on just about all fronts for its first real commercial, which shows one of its software engineers, Danny Hertz, sitting in a New York lunchroom when he gets a tweet about last week's earthquake—just before the room starts shaking and he gets pelted (harmlessly) by debris falling from all directions. He appears blissfully unconcerned as he continues reading the Shit My Dad Says book and prominently holding a Twitter mug. The consensus is that the spot is boring, self-absorbed, insensitive and rewrites history to portray the quake as worse than it was. I think MSNBC nails it: "The tardiness of this topic seems counterproductive to the message of Twitter's immediacy it's attempting to send." By taking the in-joke/doofus-humor approach, Twitter sells itself short and undermines its relevance to the daily lives of millions of tweeters worldwide. Sure, Twitter can be a geeky time waster, but it's also sparked a seismic shift in the way people communicate and played a role on the global stage. It really can shake things up, and could use some advertising to match.
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Lucky Charms Does Giant Bong Hit, Unleashes Auto-Tune Leprechaun
- Does the American Shopping Mall Have a Second Life?
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- How AT&T Got Kids to Make Some of the Year's Best Ads
- Creak, Crack, Crunch. Local Chiropractor's Goofy Ad Is Painful to Watch
- Fitness Company's Video Goes Viral Thanks to Dude Taking a Dump in the Background
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.