Calvin Klein billboard secretly curses at you
Some eagle-eyed, right-thinking patriots in lower Manhattan have blown the lid off a subliminal advertising scandal. The offender is this Calvin Klein billboard at East Houston and Lafeyette, which sneakily spells out the word FUCK, if you look closely enough. The C and K are featured in the brand's logo, but you have to hunt a bit for the F and U (which is strange, since FU's usually fly around freely on the streets of New York). The table in the background forms the F. The bikini bottoms of the scantily clad heroin-chic model suggest the letter U. The threat's clear, people! I've long insisted that nefarious subliminal tactics and secret messages permeate mass media, but my colleagues here at AdFreak just laugh and tell me to take the tin foil off my head. Wake up, people! Stare at the six-pack abs of the Old Spice guy—preferably after consuming several six packs—and watch as they morph into the face of the evil one, ruler of the damned! That's right—Sarah Palin, with Isaiah's hunky pecs forming the horns! Play Beatles songs backwards, you'll hear the Rolling Stones! And if you squint and tilt your head at just the right angle, you just might notice some cleverly concealed female buttocks on this casino billboard in New Jersey.
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
- Kawasaki And 'Lone Ranger' Ride Together in Multifaceted Campaign
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- CBS Wins Prime-Time Ratings Crown
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- Droga5 Gives Qantas Fliers Paperbacks That Last Just as Long as the Flight
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.