Altoids honors Facebook's curiously strong
"This is a tribute to the stars on Facebook. Post on, my friends, post on." You'll have those lyrics and the infectious tune of this juvenile jam touting Altoids' Curiously Strong Awards stuck in your head all day. The somewhat facetious "awards," which users can confer via the brand's Facebook page, celebrate folks whose "excessive liking and ridiculous wall posts have become our escape from the monotony of the real world." Kudos to Altoids and ad shop Evolution Bureau for the canny admission that while Facebook interactions can often be completely frivolous, for millions they're also enjoyably meaningful diversions. In the clip below, the Facebook icon stand-ins for real-world objects (oversized "thumbs-up" gloves, plus a camera and guitar) are a fun way to underscore how seamlessly social-media activities mesh with our daily lives. Various Facebook types are lovingly skewered, including the Like-A-Lot, the Food-O-Grapher (who posts pictures of burgers and fries), and best of all, the Oversharer, who updates friends about his latest icky rash while sitting on a toilet and pecking away on his laptop. (That's how I write all my AdFreak items, by the way. No, I use an iPad.) This is mint-in-cheek social-media marketing nirvana. You'll LIKE it.
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- BBC's Experimental 'Perceptive Radio' Will Personalize Content
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- The 10 Best Commercials of 2012
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Cadillac Nears Decision in Creative Review
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.