Facebook Spokeswoman Tera Randall said in a statement:
We’ll be using everything we learned from Gifts to explore new ways to help businesses and developers drive sales on the Web, on mobile and directly on Facebook.
According to TechCrunch, the social network is alerting its Gifts partners that no more orders will be forthcoming. As far as users, those with gift-card codes that have not yet been redeemed can still do so directly through the applicable merchant partners, and Facebook Cards with remaining balances can still be used.
And Re/code reported that the team that had been working on Gifts — including Lee Linden, founder of Karma, which Facebook acquired in May 2012, shortly before launching Gifts — will remain with the company and work on commerce-related projects in its platform and advertising departments.
Gifts had quite an illustrious history for a feature that failed to reach the two-year mark:
- September 2012: Facebook announces the launch of Gifts.
- November 2012: The ability to make charitable donations via Gifts is introduced.
- November 2012: Gifts is added to Facebook’s iOS application.
- November 2012: Facebook announces the rollout of Gifts to more users and the addition of several high-profile partners at an event at New York’s iconic FAO Schwarz toy store.
- November 2012: iTunes is added as a Gifts partner.
- December 2012: Gifts is rolled out to all U.S. users.
- December 2012: In the days before Christmas, Facebook urges users to “Send a Last-Minute Gift.”
- January 2013: Facebook added the ability to give Gifts to life-event notifications.
- February 2013: The Gifts dashboard is redesigned.
- February 2013: Facebook prompts users whose friends post about good news to give those friends Gifts.
- February 2013: Facebook experiments with discounts of up to $4 on Gifts of $5 or more.
- April 2013: Gifts begins to go international, as users in the U.K., Canada and India gain access to the feature, but they can only send gifts to U.S. users at this point.
- May 2013: Some Facebook users see prompts to “Surprise (friend name) with a Gift.”
- May 2013: Facebook reminds users to “Surprise Mom for Mother’s Day.”
- May 2013: Facebook allows users to schedule Gifts.
- May 2013: The option to send Gifts is added to birthday reminders.
- July 2013: Mobile users begin seeing birthday reminders with the option to send Gifts.
- August 2013: Facebook announces that it is eliminating physical Gifts in favor of electronic Gifts and gift cards.
- September 2013: Facebook redesigns its Gifts pages to reflect its shift away from physical Gifts.
Readers: Did you ever use Gifts? Will you miss it?