Facebook today launches App Center, a personalized dashboard that aims to improve app discovery across the web and mobile devices by sorting Facebook-connected apps by category and user ratings.
More than 600 social apps — including Nike+ GPS, Ubisoft Ghost Recon Commander, Stitcher Radio, Draw Something and Pinterest — have been accepted into the App Center, which is available from Facebook.com, mobile web and Facebook’s iOS and Android apps. Facebook also shared the following statistics about its platform:
· More than 230 million people play games on Facebook every month
· More than 130 games on Facebook have more than 1 million monthly active users.
· More than 4,500 timeline apps have launched since f8 in September 2011.
· Facebook drove people to the Apple App Store 83 million times in May.
· Facebook drove people to iOS apps 134 million times in May (someone who already has the app and is directed back to it from Facebook.)
· As of May, seven of the top 10 grossing iOS apps and six of the top 10 Android apps have integrated with Facebook.
App Center replaces the Apps and Games Dashboard, introducing more visuals and an improved permissions authorization flow. From an app’s detail page, users can see an app’s star rating, top in-app purchases, screenshots and what permissions the app needs, among other information. By eliminating the separate auth dialog, Facebook has reduced the friction associated with adding an app. Although mobile apps may require a download, users can otherwise immediately begin using an app after clicking over from the mobile App Center. If users discover a mobile app from the desktop App Center, they can choose “send to phone,” which will send a push notification that includes a link to Apple’s App Store or Google Play.
In order for an app to appear in App Center, developers must follow a set of submission guidelines and wait for review from Facebook. The company says uses a variety of signals — including user feedback and engagement within apps — to determine whether or not an app will be listed in App Center.
Details about how to submit an app to be listed are available here.