Are you one of the few who still believe that every big story has one true narrative? Did you not listen to Mike Allen?!
Our point: as Julie Ioffe notes today in The New Republic, the Russian public has a totally different understanding of what happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 than the rest of the world.
“Watching some of these Russian newscasts [where most of the television is owned or controlled by the Kremlin], one comes away with the impression of a desperate defense attorney scrounging for experts and angles, or a bad kid caught red-handed by the principal, trying to twist his way out of a situation in which he has no chance.”
“The discrepancy,” she writes, “does not bode well for a sane resolution to this stand-off.”
After the jump, 11 of the craziest conspiracies being floated over the Russian air waves.
- Malaysia Air Flight 17 was full of corpses when it took off from Amsterdam. [Source]
- On July 17, MH17 moved off the standard flight path that it had taken every time before, and moved north, toward rebel-held areas outside Donetsk. [Source]
- Dispatchers summoned the plane lower just before the crash. [Source]
- The plane had been recently reinsured. [Source]
- The Ukrainian army has air defense systems in the area. [Source]
- The crash was the result of the Ukrainian military mistaking MH17 for Putin’s presidential plane, which looks strangely similar [Source]
- All the victims’ Facebook pages were created in one day and the media is not showing any of the victims’ families, just the crash site. [Source]
- The passports of victims at the crash site all look brand new even though there was an explosion and a fire. “That is, the passports were tossed in [after the crash].” [Source]
- The crash of MH17 was all part of an American conspiracy to provoke a big war with Russia. [Source]
- The plane was flown not by real pilots; it was on autopilot. Or take-off (a complicated procedure) was executed by live pilots, who then ejected on parachutes. [Source]
- MH17 is actually MH370, that Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared into the Indian Ocean. [Source]
Still think the media can’t control the narrative?
What did we miss?