For those tracking Facebook’s international growth, 2009 is continuing where 2008 left off: Facebook is growing quickly in a lot of countries around the world. Facebook’s international growth has major implications for other social networking platforms around the globe, like Bebo, MySpace, Hi5, Friendster, Orkut, StudiVZ, and dozens of others, as well as for global brands and marketing firms evaluating Facebook as a communications platform.
Inside Facebook is tracking Facebook’s 2009 international growth closely. Our monthly Facebook Global Monitor reports provide detailed insight into Facebook’s international growth trends. Here are some interesting statistical highlights from Facebook’s January growth metrics:
- Almost 1 million people in Italy, or over 1.6% of the national population, joined Facebook in January.
- Over 500,00 people in Spain joined Facebook in January.
- The number of people on Facebook grew by over 10% monthly in 52 countries in January. It grew by over 20% monthly in January in 13 countries.
- Facebook’s monthly growth accelerated by at least 25% in 30 countries in January vs. December 2008.
- The number of Facebook users in Indonesia grew by nearly 40% to over 1.1 million in January – the fastest of any country.
We’ll continue tracking Facebook’s international growth as 2009 progresses!