More than 29 million Facebook users were responsible for some 312 million posts, comments and likes about the 2015 Indian Premier League season between April 1 and May 24.
Facebook head of media partnerships for India Saurabh Doshi said in a Facebook Media blog post that the most-discussed players in IPL Season 8 were Rohit Sharma of the Mumbai Indians and MS Dhoni of the Chennai Super Kings, adding that initiatives on the social network during the event included:
- Facebook created a live trending experience, which allowed fans to keep up with the action and interact with friends, players and clubs.
- The IPL posted in-match highlight video clips and photos.
- Facebook Fan Maps displayed statewide team allegiances across India.
- Digital rights-holder HOTSTAR also posted in-match highlight video clips in its HotStar of the Match series.
- The Delhi Daredevils created question-and-answer series #AskADilliBoy, in which players answered fans’ questions, and the Hyderabad SunRisers did the same with “Get Ready to Ask.”
- The Kolkata Knight Riders created the #KutScenesWithKKR series, with “various fun and amusing themes.”
- ABP News created a series of one-minute match updates.
- India Today created video series #IPL with FB, with match analysis from experts and anchors.
- Network18 produced Cricketainment, a round-up of top IPL news and analysis.
- ESPN Cricinfo created two video series: The Huddle, in which a panel of experts analyzed matches; and LetsTalkAbout, featuring fans and news.
- Cricbuzz posted galleries of match photos with “interesting captions.”
Cricket fans: Did you interact on Facebook during IPL Season 8?