Lavendr started as an alternative to Grindr, which as seen as more of a casual sex connections app. Lubo Smid, co-founder and COO of STRV, told SocialTimes that Lavendr focuses more on communication and deeper connections.
With many dating apps and sites, users eventually go off-site for communication — making the initial connection via the app, but moving to texting, Snapchat, Facebook or other modes to chat. The goal for Lavendr, by having a more robust messaging platform (including time-bomb visual messages), is to keep communication flowing through the app after the first date.
It’s been very popular so far. The app boasts 100,000 monthly active users and 15,000 daily acrive users. Every day, there are more than 10,000 matches based on mutual interests. Roughly 2,000 people sign up for the app every day — and Lavendr has a target of 1 million users by year’s end.
According to Martin Stava, the STRV CTO who will head Lavendr’s expansion efforts, the app is No. 1 in gay app searches on iOS and Android.
Stava talked about the response the app has received in a blog post:
We want to make Lavendr the leading gay dating app on the global market. We currently have around 100,000 monthly active users and plan to hit the 1 million mark by next year, which I think is realistic. Our product is essentially the gay version of Tinder. … The feedback has been tremendous.
The new version of Lavendr includes these key features, Stava told SocialTimes:
- Instagram integration – Users can now connect their Instagram account to make their Instagram images appear on their profiles
- Redesigned UI – We’ve rebuilt the UI of both the iOS and Android version from scratch into what we believe is the most polished gay dating app on the market
- Improved messaging – All the messages are now accessible offline. You can also see if the user you’re chatting with is currently online.
- Administrators – We have admins for each country where we launch who talk directly to our users to get the most accurate feedback.
- Rich user profiles – About text, Weight, Height, Relationship status have been added
- Age and distance filters – This feature has been requested by users a lot in the previous version.