Facebook is reportedly testing a stand-alone news application that would allow users to subscribe to specific publications and receive mobile alerts of up to 100 characters and links to posts on those publications’ sites.
- Users download the mobile app.
- Users choose to follow partner publications and topics.
- Those publications respond to breaking news with mobile notifications that will immediately be sent to users.
- Those notifications can contain up to 100 characters of text, as well as a URL linking to a post on the partner publication’s site (well, it’s almost 140).
- Partner publications can only share links to their own sites.
The source also shared the screenshot below with Business Insider.
Readers: Is there room for another Facebook stand-alone app?
Image of news app illustration courtesy of Shutterstock.