Facebook released some new stats on mobile usage tonight:
- In the first 24 hours after status commenting was released on Facebook’s standard mobile website, users made over 1 million status comments.
- The number of “active users” (which Facebook normally defines to be active in the last 90 days) of Facebook mobile services has grown from 5 million at the beginning of this year to 15 million today
Facebook’s Wayne Chang, however, did not break out the status comments or active users by country. It would not be surprising if a large portion of the comments originated in Latin America and Europe, where Facebook has been experiencing explosive international growth this year.
Today, Facebook operates multiple mobile services worldwide. Here’s a quick rundown:
- m.facebook.com, the standard interface that will work with almost any mobile phone browser in the world
- x.facebook.com, an advanced mobile interface
- Facebook SMS, through which users can update their status and receive notifications
- Facebook for iPhone, one the most popular apps in the App Store
- Facebook for Blackberry, which currently has over 1.8 million active users