BuzzFeed Distributed, a new social division of the publisher, is gearing up for its official launch with several new hires. The division, which will officially launch in the next few months, is a team dedicated to creating social content for a variety of emerging platforms like Vine, Snapchat and Instagram. BuzzFeed Distributed will “scale BuzzFeed’s deep understanding of the social web and why people share across other platforms,” said a release announcing the news.
The division is led by Summer Anne Burton, who was previously BuzzFeed’s managing editorial director. The new staffers include BuzzFeed employees and new faces:
- Matt Bellassai, a BuzzFeed writer, joins the team as social web writer.
- Adam Ellis, artist for BuzzFeed, joins as social web artist.
- Jen Lewis, also an artist for BuzzFeed, joins as social web artist.
- Kaye Toal, who previously managed social media at Goldieblox and Upworthy, joins as social web writer.
- Lesley Steele, formerly a freelance designer for HBO and the Obama campaign, joins as associate designer and video producer.
- Ellie Sunakawa, formerly a graphic designer for Vayner Media, joins BuzzFeed Distributed in the same role.
Congrats to all on the new gigs!