As expected Apple revealed the iPad 2 today. And, it looks like a winner. Other tablets which were designed to compete with the original iPad are going to have a lot of problems. Their problems will be compounded by the already rich universe of iPad apps and the new iPad apps Apple itself is introducing (more about this in the next blog post).
So, here’s what’s new in the iPad 2. Thanks to Engadget for their excellent live blogging since I happened to be at Microsoft’s Campus in Redmond during the announcement.
1. New A5 dual core processor
2. The iPad 2 is 33% thinner than the original iPad. It is also thinner than the iPhone 4
3. 1.3 pounds compared to the 1.5 pounds for the original iPad
4. Same 10 hour battery life as the original iPad despite the increased processing power and smaller size (thinner)
5. Front and rear facing cameras
6. White & black models available
7. 3G models available for both AT&T & Verizon’s 3G networks
8. Price structure is the same as the original iPad with a starting price of $499 for the 16GB WiFi-only model
The iPad 2 and iOS 4.3 will be available on March 11.
How about accessories and software? Check out my next block item.