Earlier today, we wrote about YouTube’s Rewind video, which packed 300 celebs into a seven-minute video. Now, here’s a look at YouTube’s top ten trending videos of the year, which amassed 633 million views, an 83-million increase from 2016’s top clips.
YouTube’s methodology crunches views, comments and likes; YouTube claims that these videos were watched for more than 40 million hours since January 1, and that the creators who uploaded them collectively have more than 55 million subscribers.
Interestingly, two of the 10 videos are ads. Sports creator Dude Perfect’s crazy ping pong trick that sent a ball through an obstacle course was not-so-secretly an ad for Oreo and racked up more than 93 million views since it was uploaded in April; the video also made YouTube’s list of most-watched ads. The second clip is Lady Gaga’s half time performance from February’s Super Bowl that was sponsored by Pepsi’s Zero Sugar drink.
So, what made the No. 1 spot? A guy performing in an oyster costume on “The Mask Singer,” a Thai singing competition. The clip has been watched more than 182 million times since it was uploaded in June. Yeah.
Here’s the list of top videos, in order from No. 1 to No. 10.
1. Until We Become Dust—Oyster Masked
2. Ed Sheeran—Shape of You | Kyle Hanagami Choreography
3. Ping Pong Tricks Shots 3 | Dude Perfect
4. Darci Lynne: 12-Year-Old Singing Ventriloquist Gets Golden Buzzer—America’s Got Talent 2017
5. Ed Sheeran Carpool Karaoke
6. Lady Gaga’s Full Pepsi Zero Sugar Super Bowl LI Halftime Show | NFL
7. “INAUGURATION DAY” — A Bad Lip Reading of Donald Trump’s Inauguration
8. History of the Entire world, I Guess
9. In a Heartbeat—Animated Short Film
10. Children Interrupt BBC News Interview—BBC News